Saturday 1 February 2014

A few favorite old cars:
1969 Mercury Cougar Convertible Eliminator

1969 Cougar Coupe

Mini Woody

"Yes I am a car nut, 40 years too late."
Actually, if it has wheels, wings, or a hull, it will tweak my fancy. Since its been too cold and Walt is buried in snow, I thought I'd share something else.
These pictures were taken in the summer of 2013.
My interest in the Cougar automobile began in my youth when, in '72, my parents bought a second hand one for Mom to drive. Apparently the old VW bug just wasn't up to the task of, well keeping us warm in the winter. The Cougar was a 1969 model powered by a 351cid Windsor engine and automatic transmission. It was similar to the gold one pictured above, but was a dark green and white top. This being the late 60's vinyl tops were in vogue don't ya know.
The car was a blast to drive. Any time you put a large powerful engine in a small car, its going to be fun. Like all American cars of the era, it was better in a straight line, but with the smaller engine (compared to the available 428/429cid) it was lighter and could handle a corner. Between that Cougar and the worn out 69 Ford F100 that I learned to drive in, I developed a personal preference for Ford products, hence the numerous blue oval pictures.
So what classic car do I own now? 73 Winnebago of course. One day, I'll wrangle a classic car. Right now I have more need of pickup. Of course the classic car could be a 2005+ Mustang Convertible. Gotta like the comfort and convenience of a newer car. Or perhaps an extended vacation? M~ would love that!
B~
Brass Tin Lizzy












No comments:

Post a Comment